What does Buddhist teaching have to offer us in 2023? During times of pandemic, social discord and uncertainty, it is both vital and inspiring to find voices of compassion and wisdom from our past, and to connect with a community of like-minded people now. After 2500 years, the Buddha’s vision of human spiritual life is still relevant, radical, practical and fresh. This day workshop will give participants an introduction to the life and core teachings of the Buddha, and all they need to begin their own practice! Basic meditation instruction will be given as well as an introduction to Buddhist ethics, wisdom teachings, and symbolism.
Whether you're looking to find some peace and stillness, to find tools for kinder, simpler living, or to directly explore the nature of consciousness, this class is a great way to begin! Suitable for complete beginners, or those seeking to explore Buddhism and meditation more deeply.
Dh Suddhayu has been a practicing Buddhist since 1992. He is an ordained member of the Triratna Buddhist Order, and has been teaching workshops and leading retreats since 1998. He currently works full time for Dharma initiatives as manager of Aryaloka Buddhist Retreat Center and Chair of Portsmouth Buddhist Center.
How are we coming together safely?
- Please take a Covid-19 rapid test on the day of the event (Aryaloka does not provide this test). A negative rapid test is required for entry; please take a photo of your test results and present at the door.
- If you know you have been exposed to Covid-19 within a five day period of the event’s start-time, we ask that you not attend in-person.* Stay up-to-date with exposure guidelines here.
- Masks are optional unless otherwise stated. Masks are required indoors for anyone testing negative of Covid-19 within days 6-10 of post-covid exposure without infection.
- If you have recently recovered from Covid-19, stay up-to-date with CDC guidance here as to when you’re clear to be back in public.*
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, we ask that you do not attend in-person.*
- All participants will be asked to sign a waiver of liability in relation to Covid-19.
- We have installed new air purifiers with virus-destroying technology!
- There are new cleaning and sanitation protocols.
*Zoom options are available for many events. Transfer of fees or refunds are also available for illness or illness-preventative related absence.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our safety protocols. Aryaloka may adjust these policies in relation to current, local infection rates, and will keep retreatants posted on such changes.
At Aryaloka, we strive to make our programs available to everyone regardless of their financial circumstances. Our fee structure allows you to pay according to your means.
The Event Rate is our actual fee for the event. It is for people paying their rent or mortgage, and who can afford occasional or regular leisure expenses such as dining out. Any payment above the advertised fee is a tax-deductible donation.
The Mid-Level Reduced Rate is for those who are paying their mortgage or rent, though experience a consistent tightness in budget that makes extras like leisure activities or unexpected expenses difficult or impossible.
The Base-Level Reduced Rate is for those without an income or with an income low enough that making ends meet is a challenge.
Those whose circumstances are not included above can email the office to make other arrangements. email@example.com
14 Heartwood Circle
Newmarket, NH 03857