Listen to the sound of water
In the clefts and in the gullies:
The tiny streams gurgle loudly—
Mighty waters flow in silence.
From the Nalaka Sutta
Beginning Noble Silence: An Introduction to Silent Retreat
Do you have an established meditation practice? Are you curious what a silent meditation retreat is like? This retreat is a great way to explore! This Noble Silence retreat is for moderately experienced meditators who would like to explore the practice of a silent meditation intensive.
This retreat provides a safe and supportive space to practice meditation in an atmosphere of deep silence. Aryaloka’s spacious facility and forested grounds provide a contemplative landscape in which to go deeper in your practice. You’ll be supported by a community of fellow practitioners and facilitators, all invested in creating the conditions in which meditation practice can flourish.
While meditation is considered safe for most people, there are some for whom caution is advised. If this is your first time on an intensive meditation retreat, and you are dealing with emotional issues such as depression, trauma, grief, or a psychological diagnosis, please contact the office to discuss whether this retreat is right for you.
Excerpt from the Nalaka Sutta trans. by Olendzki
Image detail of Crow Eating a Persimmon by Ohara Koson
Led By the Noble Silence Team
A Culture of Generosity and Support
In the tradition of passing on the Dharma freely, our Dharma retreat and workshop facilitators offer their work without charge and are not paid. We recognize the value in what they do and want to thank them for their time, energy and wisdom. A financial gift can help support our facilitators to afford them the opportunity to lead. Please consider making a donation towards their support. There is often a cash collection and a thank you card that is passed on the retreat, though one can also make a donation directly to facilitators with a check, and some use money transfer services such as PayPal or Venmo. Thank you for considering this.
How are we coming together safely?
- Please take a Covid-19 rapid test on the day of the event (Aryaloka does not provide this test). A negative rapid test is required for entry; please take a photo of your test results and present at the door.
- If you know you have been exposed to Covid-19 within a five day period of the event’s start-time, we ask that you not attend in-person.* Stay up-to-date with exposure guidelines here.
- Masks are optional unless otherwise stated. Masks are required indoors for anyone testing negative of Covid-19 within days 6-10 of post-covid exposure without infection.
- If you have recently recovered from Covid-19, stay up-to-date with CDC guidance here as to when you’re clear to be back in public.*
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, we ask that you do not attend in-person.*
- We have installed new air purifiers with virus-destroying technology!
- There are new cleaning and sanitation protocols.
*Zoom options are available for many events. Transfer of fees or refunds are also available for illness or illness-preventative related absence.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about our safety protocols. Aryaloka may adjust these policies in relation to current, local infection rates, and will keep retreatants posted on such changes.
At Aryaloka, we strive to make our programs available to everyone regardless of their financial circumstances. Our fee structure allows you to pay according to your means.
The Event Rate is our actual fee for the event. It is for people paying their rent or mortgage, and who can afford occasional or regular leisure expenses such as dining out. Any payment above the advertised fee is a tax-deductible donation.
The Mid-Level Reduced Rate is for those who are paying their mortgage or rent, though experience a consistent tightness in budget that makes extras like leisure activities or unexpected expenses difficult or impossible.
The Base-Level Reduced Rate is for those without an income or with an income low enough that making ends meet is a challenge.
Those whose circumstances are not included above can email the office to make other arrangements. firstname.lastname@example.org
14 Heartwood Circle
Newmarket, NH 03857
|Sliding Scale 1||$360.00|
|Sliding Scale 2||$290.00|
|Sliding Scale 3||$230.00|