Winter Stillness Meditation Retreat: The Heart Sutra | Dec 26-31
“If we really know the Heart Sutra we know—in a sense—everything.” Sangharakshita
Our annual Winter Stillness meditation retreat is a wonderful opportunity to access the peace, silence, and stillness that is potential in all of us. Living and practicing together as a spiritual community, our efforts support one another on the journey to equanimity.
Our program provides a steady schedule of meditation, open space, ritual and silence. A tradition on this retreat is an end-of-year outdoor fire ritual in which we burn confessions or things we’d like to leave behind. The winter landscape in Aryaloka’s forest and along the Piscassic river allows for contemplative walking and the appreciation of nature. Though this retreat is mostly in silence, there are periods of instruction, some chanting, and optional meditation interviews.
This year’s theme will be on the Heart Sutra. Although much of the retreat will be in silence, there will be daily Dharma talks on themes from the Heart Sutra. We will chant the sutra in english and in sanskrit, hear readings from a few different translations, and explore different ways of being with and reflecting on this profound text.
Image detail from Ohara Shoson’s ‘Egrets in Snow’
How are we coming together safely?
- Please take a Covid-19 rapid test on the day of the event (Aryaloka does not provide this test). A negative rapid test is required for entry; please take a photo of your test results and present at the door.
- If you know you have been exposed to Covid-19 within a five day period of the event’s start-time, we ask that you not attend in-person.* Stay up-to-date with exposure guidelines here.
- Masks are optional unless otherwise stated. Masks are required indoors for anyone testing negative of Covid-19 within days 6-10 of post-covid exposure without infection.
- If you have recently recovered from Covid-19, stay up-to-date with CDC guidance here as to when you’re clear to be back in public.*
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, we ask that you do not attend in-person.*
- All participants will be asked to sign a waiver of liability in relation to Covid-19.
- We have installed new air purifiers with virus-destroying technology!
- There are new cleaning and sanitation protocols.
*Zoom options are available for many events. Transfer of fees or refunds are also available for illness or illness-preventative related absence.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about our safety protocols. Aryaloka may adjust these policies in relation to current, local infection rates, and will keep retreatants posted on such changes.
A Culture of Generosity and Support
In the tradition of passing on the Dharma freely, our Dharma retreat and workshop facilitators offer their work without charge and are not paid. We recognize the value in what they do and want to thank them for their time, energy and wisdom. A financial gift can help support our facilitators to afford them the opportunity to lead. Please consider making a donation towards their support.
There is often a cash collection and a thank you card that is passed on the retreat, though one can also make a donation directly to facilitators with a check, and some use money transfer services such as PayPal or Venmo.
Thank you for considering this.
At Aryaloka, we strive to make our programs available to everyone regardless of their financial circumstances. Our fee structure allows you to pay according to your means.
The Event Rate is our actual fee for the event. It is for people paying their rent or mortgage, and who can afford occasional or regular leisure expenses such as dining out. Any payment above the advertised fee is a tax-deductible donation.
The Mid-Level Reduced Rate is for those who are paying their mortgage or rent, though experience a consistent tightness in budget that makes extras like leisure activities or unexpected expenses difficult or impossible.
The Base-Level Reduced Rate is for those without an income or with an income low enough that making ends meet is a challenge.
Those whose circumstances are not included above can email the office to make other arrangements. firstname.lastname@example.org
14 Heartwood Circle
Newmarket, NH 03857